13th Age with Rob Heinsoo
by Mike Shea on 12 November 2013
I recently had the opportunity to spend 90 minutes talking to Rob Heinsoo about how to run 13th Age games. You can watch the entire interview on Youtube. Take a look!
Here are some highlights!
- The Icon system went through many revisions over the playtests.
- The current iteration is the one Rob and Jonathan had been using the most at their tables.
- The current writeup on Icons in the 13th Age book isn't the last word. Expect to see more on Icon rolls in 13 True Ways and in other venues.
- The biggest trap in the world is feeling like you have to address every icon roll. It's not a to-do list.
- Use Icon rolls as a way to help PCs do awesome things when the dice don't agree, even in combat.
- Group up successful icon rolls across the table into bigger events that steer the adventure.
- Have players decide how Icon rolls come into effect.
- Tie icon rolls directly to a PC's one unique thing.
- Use the "Dicy Move" on page 164 to give a 50/50 shot to do something weird or cool in a battle.
I also had the opportunity to write a guest article on the Pelgrane website entitled "A 4e Player's Guide to 13th Age" that describes what D&D 4th Edition players and GMs can expect from 13th Age. If you haven't figured it out, I'm a big fan of this version of our favorite fantasy RPG.
Article Keywords: icon roll, 13th age, roll list, combat group, guide 13th, edition player, 4e player, 90 minute, big fan, rob, current, expect, jonathan, iteration, 164
If you enjoyed this article please consider supporting me on Patreon and take a look at Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures, and Sly Flourish's Fantastic Locations.
You can also support this site by using these links to purchase the D&D Essentials Kit, Players Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide, or metal dice from Easy Roller Dice.
Send feedback to @slyflourish on Twitter or email email@example.com.