New to Sly Flourish? Start Here!
13th Age with Rob Heinsoo
by Mike on 12 November 2013
I recently had the opportunity to spend 90 minutes talking to Rob Heinsoo about how to run 13th Age games. You can watch the entire interview on Youtube. Take a look!
Here are some highlights!
- The Icon system went through many revisions over the playtests.
- The current iteration is the one Rob and Jonathan had been using the most at their tables.
- The current writeup on Icons in the 13th Age book isn't the last word. Expect to see more on Icon rolls in 13 True Ways and in other venues.
- The biggest trap in the world is feeling like you have to address every icon roll. It's not a to-do list.
- Use Icon rolls as a way to help PCs do awesome things when the dice don't agree, even in combat.
- Group up successful icon rolls across the table into bigger events that steer the adventure.
- Have players decide how Icon rolls come into effect.
- Tie icon rolls directly to a PC's one unique thing.
- Use the "Dicy Move" on page 164 to give a 50/50 shot to do something weird or cool in a battle.
I also had the opportunity to write a guest article on the Pelgrane website entitled "A 4e Player's Guide to 13th Age" that describes what D&D 4th Edition players and GMs can expect from 13th Age. If you haven't figured it out, I'm a big fan of this version of our favorite fantasy RPG.
Want More D&D Tips from Sly Flourish?
Buy Sly Flourish's Books
Have a question or want to contact me? Check out Sly Flourish's Frequently Asked Questions.
This site uses affiliate links to Amazon and DriveThruRPG. Thanks for your support!