New to Sly Flourish? Start Here!
Twenty Things to Do Instead of Checking Social Media
by Mike on 6 March 2023
- Read a sourcebook, campaign book, or world book.
- Read some third-party campaign books.
- Think about what your villains are doing right now.
- Watch a movie or show with great characters and fantastic locations.
- Read a fun fantasy novel.
- Listen to an audiobook and practice your voices.
- Call a friend and chat about their game.
- Fill your campaign's geography with little-known dungeons and lairs.
- Come up with three fun sidequests.
- Read a monster book seeking fun lairs and encounters.
- Read the descriptions of the characters' race, class, and background.
- Write down a personalized quest for each character.
- Find evocative art for your campaign.
- Share an experience from your last game with fellow DMs.
- Update your campaign journal.
- Write down a character-focused summary of your previous game to deliver at the beginning of your next one.
- Make a cool handout.
- Write and email short flash fiction to your players showing the movement of the world.
- Find music to build a great soundtrack for your game.
- Flesh out the details of NPCs the characters know and love.
More Sly Flourish Stuff
The Lazy DM's Forge of Foes is live on Kickstarter! Back it today and grab the 30 page sample PDF!
Last Week's Lazy RPG Talk Show Topics
Each week I record an episode of the Lazy RPG Talk Show (also available as a podcast) in which I talk about all things in tabletop RPGs. Here are last week's topics with timestamped links to the YouTube video:
Patreon Questions and Answers
Also on the Talk Show, I answer questions from Sly Flourish Patreons. Here are last week's questions and answers:
Each week I think about what I learned in my last RPG session and write them up as D&D tips. Here are this week's tips:
- Never forget. The number one goal of an RPG is to get together and share some laughs and tales of high adventure with your friends.
- Your friends love you. You're game will be great.
- Stack multiple encounters together. Mix in roleplaying and exploration.
- Monsters often aren't tactical masterminds. Play them dumb.
- Provoke opportunity attacks.
- Keep tools on hand to improvise monster statistics at the table.
- Keep a handful of basic monster powers you can drop in when you need them.
More from Sly Flourish
Sly Flourish's Books
Share This Article
Share this article with your friends using this link: https://slyflourish.com/twenty_things_instead_of_social_media.html
Have a question or want to contact me? Check out Sly Flourish's Frequently Asked Questions.
This site uses affiliate links to Amazon and DriveThruRPG. Thanks for your support!